As a Texas independent insurance agent I frequently get questions about flood insurance. Here are eight reasons to consider getting flood insurance:
- Your homeowner’s insurance policy does not cover flood damage. One of the main reasons people get homeowners insurance is for protection against a loss from fire. In texas you are far more likely to have flood damage than fire damage. Flood insurance is valuable coverage for one of your most important assets.
- Everyone lives in a flood zone. (According to the FEMA website.) in other words there is no such thing as a home that cannot be flooded.
- Even an inch or two of water can cause very costly damage to your property
- Federal disaster assistance is normally a loan that you must pay back with interest. This is not a good substitute for insurance.
- It is easy to get flood insurance. You can get a quote and order a policy on the internet or by phone. This often takes less than 15 minutes.
- In the event of a flood disaster it is far better to be one of the people with flood coverage.
- With this insurance your family will have less to worry about when a big storm is in the news
- Flood insurance is generally inexpensive.